OF DOCTOR KARICKHOFF’S FIRSTS
IN LOCAL AND NATIONAL EYE CARE
- First in Washington area to perform laser disruption of eye floaters. (2-1-90)
- Inventor of the Karickhoff Keratoscope (U.S. Patent).
- Inventor of the Anterior Chamber Caliper (U.S. Patent).
- Discoverer of the cause and surgical treatment of pigmentary glaucoma.
- Originator of the combined American-Russian technique of radial keratotomy incisions (now the most widely used in the world)
- Originator of the Schiotz-Shove test (used in myopia surgery).
- Conceived and published nine orginal concepts in ophthalmology.
- Designer of seven surgical instruments used world-wide.
- First in Northern Virginia to treat acute glaucoma with laser surgery. (3-2-77)
- First in Northern Virginia to perform outpatient cataract surgery. (1-14-81)
- First in Virginia to perform surgery for nearsightedness. (4-15-81)
- First in Northern Virginia to treat chronic glaucoma with laser surgery. (6-11-81)
- First in Northern Virginia to perform epikeratophakia (the "living contact lens" operation) (12-10-85)
- First in metropolitan Washington to perform no-stitch cataract surgery. (2-2-91)
- Author of five articles on refractive surgery.
- Author of 39 articles in national and international eye journals.
- Author of the only book on "Laser Treatment of Eye Floaters. (2005)
- Designer of four surgical contact lenses used internationally. (2006-2009)